Here is the latest ACS Message.
The American Citizen Services unit at the U.S. Embassy would like to wish you a safe and happy holiday season. Now that the holidays are upon us, here are a few hints and tips that may help you to have a safe and secure holiday season.
Crime and Safety
As you are out and about shopping for gifts, criminals are out looking for targets. Unfortunately, regardless of country, there is usually an increase in thefts and robberies during the holiday season. Here are a few things you can do to make yourself a more difficult target:
· Be aware of your surroundings and watch for suspicious activity that may indicate that you are being targeted. If you note suspicious behavior, go somewhere safe, such as back into a store or mall, and consider informing store security of the person(s) you are concerned about.
· Keep control of your packages, purses, wallets, and other belongings. Do not over-burden yourself with packages and whenever possible keep a hand free.
· Be mindful that disturbances such as loud arguments, people bumping into you, or people dropping things near you may actually be used as distractions to allow an accomplice to steal from you. Ensure that you still have all of your possessions after someone bumps into you.
· When you place packages in your vehicle, ensure that the packages are not visible from the outside where they could be a source of temptation for a criminal. When driving, keep your windows up and doors locked.
· Your credit card information is both valuable and vulnerable. Please safeguard it accordingly and check your bank statements periodically.