Proof of Life Advisory

If you are a permanent resident of Panama and receive pension payments from the US (i.e SS, RR etc) then you should know that the Proof of Life forms, that must be returned, have been mailed.

If the questionnaire is not received by October, you should contact the FBU for a blank form to avoid the benefits from being suspended.

If you do not know about the Proof of Life requirement, then read the original post which is ->

For general information on the SS proof of life from the Embassy, you may refer to the following link:

And no, you may not use a PTY or other mail forwarding address as your SSA notification address.

11 thoughts on “Proof of Life Advisory

  1. I attended the last meeting at the Hotel David and one of their representatives told me that they did away with this form for a social security requirement. I did have the form with me and filled out and they refused it. Are they wrong or are you wrong.

  2. You must have asked a person that answered incorrectly. What I posted today is information I received from the FBU, because I wrote them and asked when to expect the mailings.

  3. Don is absolutely correct. You can send the form by e-mail along with a legible photocopy of your valid US passport to:

    Mail the original documents to us along with a copy of your passport to the following address:

    U.S. Embassy Panama
    Federal Benefits Unit
    Apartado 0816-02561
    Panama, Republic of Panama

    One note: U.S. Citizens only have to send this form in once every two years.
    It’s based on the last two digits of your SSN, from 00-49 in even years and
    from 50-99 in odd years. Perhaps that was what caused the previous confusion.


  4. You either receive it by mail and if you do not receive one, You must contact the FBU at the U.S Embassy in Panama City and they will send you one.

  5. This message is directed towards Patrick. The form number I have is SSA-21 for proof of life. Is this correct form # . The man I talked to at the meeting I believe his name is Luis. Since you work at the embassy I would think you have the correct form number so I can download it. Thankyou

  6. What you may not understand is the process. The SSA mails out the form. They expect you to reply. If you do not receive the form to reply via your post office, the Embassy is intended to be involved to insure that the individual submitting the form is who they say they are.

    In the U.S., if a person dies the SSA will be notified by the funeral home and SS payments will be stopped automatically. U.S. citizens can die in Panama and the family they were living with may not notify anyone because they want to keep collecting the benefits.

    My recommendation is that you contact the FBU in th Embassy and work with them. You can do what you want, but if things don’t work as you expect, you will have to work with the Embassy in Panama City to get it fixed. You might as well build a relationship now.

    People living in the U.S. don’t have to go through the POL process.

  7. As a point of information, expat permanent residents living in the USA must file fe de vida with Panama to continue their CSS payments from Panama.

Leave a Reply